Friday, December 12, 2008

Do you still send "real" Christmas cards?

You might have read Jeremy Maggs’s column in The Herald today, about the demise of Christmas cards.
That really does bring back fond memories and I suspect by the time our kids are adults Christmas cards will be seen in the same light as gramophone records, those dial-up telephones with holes for your fingers (when did you last see one of those?) and other quaint relics of the technological dark ages.
This year I’ve had heaps of Christmas cards by e-mail, and I suppose I could string them up on a bit of red ribbon and hang them over my desk at work, but they are just not as festive as the old-fashioned variety. Plus our office printer is only black and white.
One NGO in Port Elizabeth, sent me a lovely card, in PowerPoint form, signed by a totally different charity organisation. Now, I’m not sure if the sender had Alzheimer’s approaching (one of them was, in fact, the Algoa Bay Council for the Aged), or if it was merely someone too hasty to forward a cute card and not bothering to change the details.
That’s the problem with the electronic version, it’s just too easy to send, hence you get sent cards by the most obscure folk whom you don’t really know, and you send them right back.
Here is the one I’m planning to send out just before I go on leave ...

2 comments:

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

I remember the excitement of receiving a envelope in the mail and wondering who it is from. I have to admit that I tend to also send them via e-mail these days, but I will try and change my ways... next year.

Jeanne said...

I'm well on my way to becoming the last person under retirement age still to send out masses of real paper cards - sent out about 50 in the last week!! It's a wonderful tradition and one that I'd hate to let go...